Friday, February 4, 2011

Epiphany

Today I had an epiphany.  Many people have wondered why I went into the nursing field.  Myself included. I guess I needed a job fast, and as a newly single mom, I needed something that would allow me to provide for my two girls.  My best friend was going through the college catalog with me, and we stopped for minute on the dental hygienist page, and she said you don't want to have your hands in someones mouth all day long so let's keep looking...................  and we pretty much picked RN and the rest is history.  Kind of makes me laugh now.  Having my hands in someones mouth all day?  Where did we think my hands would be when I was an RN?  :)

Anyhoo........ I had one of my kiddos come in and needed me to fix a blister.  Pretty easy stuff, but after I was finished it hit me.  I love this job because I get to do "mom" stuff all day long. I work at a therapeutic boarding school.  I love my kiddos.  I know they are far from home and just need some TLC.  I fix owies (yes, teenagers do get owies), blisters, check for fevers, make appointments, take out stitches.  You get the idea.  Much more than most school nurses because we are able to have a running clinic right on campus.  I love love love love it.  Just happened to have a light bulb moment today. 

Have a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment